Saturday, April 08, 2006

Okay, here's the instructions for the hazelnut stitch:

Work over a number of sts divisible by 6 + 2.

Row 1: *P2, K1. Repeat from*, ending with P2.
Row 2: *k2, p1, k2, (k1,p1,k1,p1) all in the next st,* repeat from*, end with k2.
Row 3: *P8, K1. Repeat from* end with P2.
Row 4: K2, *P1, K8, repeat from*
Row 5: Same as row 3.
Row 6: *K2, P1, K2, p4 tog. Repeat from* end on k2.
Row 7: *P2, k1. Repeat from* end with p2.
Row 8: *K2, (k1, p1, k1, p1) all in the next st, k2, p1. Repeat from*, end with k2.
Row 9: P2, *K1, P8. Repeat from*.
Row 10: *k8, p1, repeat from* end with k2
Row 11: same as row 9
Row 12: *k2, p4 tog, k2, p1 repeat from* end with k2.

Repeat these 12 rows until desired length. Bind off all stitches.


For the purse that I made with this stitch, I cast on 38 stitches, worked for 7 1/2 inches, ending with row 7. I knitted 2 1/2 inches, then bound off all stitches. I made the back the same way, then knitted a strip about 1 1/2 inches wide that went around the edges between the front and back. I lined the purse, making my lining pattern from the knitted pieces before sewing them together. I installed a zipper on the top between the front and back, sewed the strip all around and added handles. Voila! Raspberry purse. I used worsted weight yarn.

9 comments:

Bianca said...

Interesting stitch. I just finished a scarf in a Dutch pattern... will try your stitch as it sounds interesting :-)

Mary Anne said...

Thanks for the details on this stitch, Karen. I'm going to try it on a facecloth and see how it turns out.
cheers

Claudia said...

wow, wow, WOW! This is really gorgeous! thanks for sharing the pattern - I HAVE to try this one!

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,
Beautiful bag! I love it!
Love your blog!!

Robyn
www.adaliah.com
knittingnut@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

I have a question though. I'm a little confused about the 1 1/2" strip that you knitted that went around the edges from front to back. Where exactly does that go? I guess I'm confused about the construction of the bag after it's all knitted. Thanks! :)

Robyn

Tammy said...

It's lovely! Thank you for sharing your beautiful pattern with us!!!!

Cindy said...

Did you make the handle too?

Karen Dupaix said...

Cindy,

No, I purchased the handle at WalMart.

Karen

Anonymous said...

I made 8 facecloths of this pattern for my friend's new house. She loves them. Thank you!