Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Here's something new I'm trying. It's a scarf made of a bunch of connected triangles. I had a friend show me how to do it, then figured it out in a quiet moment at home (which moments are rare). You start with one stitch and increase one stitch at the beginning of one side only (so the beginning of every other row) until you have about 20 stitches, or whatever width you want. The increase side becomes the "long" side of your triangle. Then you start a new triangle at the point where the two shorter sides meet. You knit it the same way as the first triangle, but knit the last stitch coming away from the increase edge, together with an existing stitch from the original triangle. Play with it. You can figure it out. The pattern works best with variagated yarn, which stripes nicely in the triangles. I tried some sock yarn, but the stripes were too wide. This sport weight yarn works nicely.

Here's my latest pink ruffled purse. Everyone seems to like this purse. I'm making this one for a friend's daughter. The pattern is one I created and am sharing on my blog. You can find it by looking in the archives under the post "I've had so many requests for this pattern."

Here's Ben showing off the sweater I finished Monday. It's a little big on him. I don't know if the pattern is too big, or if my knitting is too loose. I'm going to put it away until he grows into it.

I decided I wanted to create a purse with some nice texture to it. I found this pattern in an old book of stitch patterns. This one is called "Hazelnut." In this color, I think it looks exactly like raspberries! The picture is a bit blurry.

Meanwhile, I've started another of my tote bags. This one is in lime green and navy blue. I picked up some lime green wool at the thrift store the other day, and knitted up a swatch to try felting it. It felted beautifully, so I'm excited to try it in this bag. I'll post pictures when it's done.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I was contacted by a woman who wanted me to knit hat and mitten sets for her three little girls for Valentine's Day. She wanted me to use furry novelty yarn in all of them, and she wanted them to be coordinated. This is the set that I made for her two-year-old. The hat is very cute on, as the corners poke up like little "horns".

This hat and mitten set is for the five-year-old. I graphed out the heart motif and added embroidered flowers with a pearl in the middle. I think it turned out nicely.

This last set is for the eight-year-old. I adapted the hat pattern from one I found online, then somehow figured out how to include the stitch pattern in a pair of mittens. Don't ask me how I did it, it's too complicated to explain, but I'm very pleased that I was able to figure it out. This set is my favorite of the three.